Friday, May 14, 2010

Overrated! (DA DA DADADA)

So, after I wrote about the top 5 movie directors, see below (also you should click on the Pulp Fiction link) I began to think of the top 5 most overrated directors:

1. Brian DePalma- This guy has been a director forever, since 1960, directed 37 films, and his best accomplishment is that he has directed a couple of mediocre movies. I have no idea why they let this guy direct for so long. Movies that I saw and sucked: The Black Dahlia, Snake Eyes (ironically starring the most overrated actor Nick Cage), Bonfire of the Vanities, and Scarface (read Chucks comments here about why Scarface sucks). Mediocre movies: Carlito’s Way, Carrie, Wiseguys and Raising Cain. The mediocre movies were almost good in spite of him and get mad weird at points (i.e. Carrie). This clown has also made mad other movies you’ve never seen (that probably stunk): Redacted, Mission to Mars, The Fury, etc…

2. Kevin Smith- Airplane problems aside, this guy gets too much hype! I should love him being from New Jersey, but I don’t. Let’s go over his movies. Clerks, was ok and cool because it was shot on a shoestring budget, but I don’t think it holds up. Then Mallrats, which basically just sucked aside from Jason Lee as Brodie. Chasing Amy, as Sidebar pointed out, seemed great when I first watched it but doesn’t really hold up either. Chasing Amy is like the girl that you thought was hot when you picked her up at the bar, but after you wake up with her in the morning and look at her, you just want her to leave. Then came Dogma, which I thought sucked! Then Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Jersey Girl, Clerks II, Reaper…need I say more.

3. M. Knight Shyamalan- We all saw the Sixth Sense and loved it! We all thought that this guy was going to be great, until… he made more movies. Then came Unbreakable, where Smith got to work with the one and only Samuel L. and still put out a mediocre (at best) movie. Then Signs, an in, I which I had that 106 minutes of my life back, Signs. Then the Village, what the fuck was that?! After that, The Lady in the Water. The man should have had the sixth sense not to make any more movies after the Sixth Sense.

4. Ang Lee- I shouldn’t even know this guys name, but I do, as do you. Brokeback, was good, and other than that the only movie that he’s done which you’ve seen is Crouching Tiger which was mediocre at best. Why do we all know this clown?

5. Steven Spielberg- Ok, I already discussed this (see below) but it’s worth mentioning again. Every movie this guy makes is a hit, I mean a huge block buster smash, movie of the year hit, but they are all always mediocre at best. The movies that were okay were: Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, E.T. Give me the amount of money it costs to make these films and I can make a decent movie. A great example of why this guy is an overrated clown was War of the Worlds, another huge budget movie (which sucked huge balls!) which was all formula and no substance. His best movie, Jaws, was good partially because he couldn’t get the over priced shark to work. The problem with Spielberg is all his movies are formulaic, overdone, and not original.

3 comments:

Moon said...

"Chasing Amy is like the girl that you thought was hot when you picked her up at the bar, but after you wake up with her in the morning and look at her, you just want her to leave." LOL. Never happened to me, but the metaphor holds up, nonetheless.

Also, I definitely agree with you about Jason Lee in Chasing Amy. This guy carries a lot of movies/TV shows.

popsrick said...

How do you know so much about these guys!?!?

popsrick said...

Hard to comment...realize I only saw 10 of 31 films...do think blockbuster film directors like Spielberg are just a different animal than aldomovar, bergman, herzog, woody allen, even polanski...for spielberg the awe he wants overwhelms the story...there are awemakers and storytellers