Monday, May 31, 2010

Dirty Dancing Debate



"I carried a watermelon."



So BotG and I have had a long-standing debate about a scene in the movie in Dirty Dancing.

(side note: I thought about searching for a YouTube clip or a link to this scene somewhere but then I realized: that's not necessary, everybody knows every scene of Dirty Dancing!)

Remember the scene where a bunch of the rich old guys are playing cards and one guy tosses a bunch of money at Patrick Swayze to give his wife "extra dancing lessons" as his card game might last all night? The guy's cougar wife, who later sleeps with Robbie, the slimy young guy who got Penny pregnant, looks lustfully at Patrick Swayze. The implication made there is that in the past, she has had sex with him and given him money...

(paraphrasing:

"You don't know how it is Baby... I mean, one day, you're dancing, hustling on the street, and the next day women are throwing money at you."
"I understand, you just used them for sex, I understand."
"No, no, it wasn't like that... it wasn't like I was using them, it was like, they were using me.")

... and Patrick Swayze, in a dramatic turning point in the movie, gives the guy the money back and declines to give dancing lessons to the wife, as Baby looks on with pride at Patrick, thus solidifying the relationship between Patrick and Baby and setting up the dramatic last scene.

Anyway, here's the question:

Did the old guy know that Patrick Swayze had been routinely sleeping with his wife during these extra dancing lessons, and just not care much, as she was just out of his hair and wasn't bothering him for sex? Or was he ignorant to the fact that she was boning Patrick and the dance lessons were more than just lessons?

3 comments:

Evan said...

Well, this might go down as the gayest (as in homosexual not bad) in this blog’s history.

As discussed, I don't know what would make you believe that the husband has knowledge of the affair. He does not state anything to that effect and there is no knowledge to support such a ridiculous notion. What evidence or reason do you have to believe that the husband knows and financially supports his wife’s affair?

Don't know if anyone else will weigh in on this.

Moon said...

LOL! I don't think he knows his wife is sleeping with the dude. I just think he wants to keep her out of his hair. He may suspect that she gets a cheap thrill out of dancing with a young strapping guy, but in the end, he knows that she will always come back to him b/c he's rich and Swayze's mad poor. So, why not let her have her fun?

ChuckJerry said...

I am happy to day that I have no recollection of this scene in the movie.

I don't think I've seen this movie in 15 or 20 years since my sister used to watch it all the time.

But the way you describe it, it sounds like the guy knows she's banging Swayze, but doesn't care.