Thursday, February 18, 2010

Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

Even if the Knicks don't sign Lebron, I'm happy with the deals that Donnie Walsh just made to get rid of salary. This positions them to get the man that will ultimately be the greatest to ever play the game: LBJ. Let's face it, there was no way Lebron was gonna come here if we didn't have a chance to buy him a #2 running mate (Wade, Bosh, Joe Johnson, Dirk, etc.). If you're NY, how can you not position yourself to get the greatest player ever?

And if LBJ doesn't sign here, so be it. We still have mad flexibility to sign others (see above + Rudy Gay, Boozer, etc.) or make trades. AND, don't forget that Eddy Curry's salary will expire after next year (if the Knicks don't buy his lazy ass out first). That means, they'll be in the running for another big piece (like Chris Paul) next summer. Hmmmm.....

Say what you want, but if I'm Lebron, and I have the chance to come to NYC, roll with Jay Z, and essentially be an assistant GM (you know they're gonna tell him he can choose his running mate), I have to think seriously about that. It's a once in a lifetime oppoortunity for Lebron and the Knicks.

All of that said, I hope they don't get seduced by the show McGrady's about to put on in the last 30 games. He's Vince Carter's cousin, but they have WAY more in common than blood. If they do resign him, it better not be for more than 4-5 million. Just sayin'

7 comments:

Side Bar said...

I agree with all of that. And while I really, really loved watching Nate play, I cannot say I am surprised that was among the departed.

I am obviously biased because I live here, but being a star athlete in New York has got to be bigger and more lucrative than being a star anywhere else. Personally, I think LeBron intends -- and has always intended -- to come to the Knicks after this season. But he is wisely playing coy to get the best possible deal.

Stay tuned.

Moon said...

Why did they deal Nate for nothing though? I know House can shoot threes, but what the heck? Maybe they just didn't think they could justify benching him b/c he's too talented?

Side Bar said...

Well House is a free agent next year and Nate is not (I don't think), so they are clearing cap space. Also, D'Antoni freaking hates him.

Anonymous said...

Because Nate Robinson is a handicap while Eddie House is an asset. IMO, when Nate's on the court they are essential playing 4-on-6 instead of 5-on-5.

Ok, I'm exaggerating. But four members of my all-time "God, I really hate watching this guy" team are definitely: Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Antoine Walker, and now Nate Robinson.

But yes, I do agree with everything you said, Moon. Not about the idea that LeBron would care about being in NYC, but the chance to essentially choose his team is goddamn tempting.

The Notorious LJT said...

wasn't tmac an allstar in the wnba last year?

ChuckJerry said...

Nate Robinson was a freak show. Eddie House is a real scorer. I don't for the life of me know why Boston would make that trade when they are trying to win a championship. Nate Robinson takes them further from that goal.

It's not a coincidence that they Knicks started to win games when they benched Nate for a month.

I'm going to miss David Lee next year.

The Notorious LJT said...

jeez, get off his nuts, chuck!