Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Thoughts

(My first post here...enjoy)

1) Assume for a moment that the pilot who deliberately crashed his airplane into the IRS building in Austin, Texas yesterday was named Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab. What would the media and political (right wing) response have been?

2) What does the so-called "Tea Party" think of the crash?

3) Dolphins and a mob-shooting in Teaneck in the same week? Wow.

4) The LeBron Thing:

a) I put NBA hoops on par with billiards or bowling on my list at this point...it's nearly unwatchable in my mind. There's virtually no variety in each game and a decided lack of intensity compared with college hoops. (See Hoyas v. 'Cuse last night...awesome and exciting).

b) I think LeBron coming to the Knicks hurts him a bit. Think of all of the greatest stars and most loved stars -- Kobe, Jeter, Jordan -- these are gies (hy!) who came up with one team and stayed there for their golden years. The idea of LeBron leaving his hometown and selling out just to make a few extra million rubs me the wrong way. To me, there's something extra special about a great player playing for one team for an entire career. (Note that I'm just looking at this from a global perspective. I understand that Knick fans want him). Just my 2 cents.

3 comments:

Moon said...

Mad true. You know the right wing would be overblowing the plane crash right now if the culprit had an Arabic name. Hadn't thought about that....

I hear you on the NBA too. In Bill Simmons' book, he too laments the lack of intensity at points. He remarks about how all the stars love each other and want to be boys. They're always giving each big hugs and pounds. What happened to the intensity we used to see? What happened to the Rick Mahorns and Bill Laimbeers? What happened to guys that wanted to win and would scratch your eyes out to do it?

That said, I find college basketball difficult to get into because the stars don't play for more than a year; tough to get a rivalry going or to build up any drama that way. I WANT to like college basketball though. There's something about it that appeals to me. But it's tough to get into the rivalries that "the programs" have with each other, when I can't associate any personalities/players with the rivalries. Maybe I'm missing something and I'm asking for too much. I dunno....

Did the fact that Garnett and Allen came to the Celtics in '08 take something away from the luster of that team's championship? Not to me. I think they came together well and played tough, team basketball. I see them as a team in the truest sense, not a group of mercenaries.

The Notorious LJT said...

i haven't heard a tea party comment on that plane crash yet but i bet their comments are something to the effect of, "it's wrong and we don't condone it.......but we kind of do....but we won't say it" they'll dance around that shit.

how much does the tea party suck? they're just angry uneducated white people who see that america isn't going to be a bunch of uneducated white people anymore and are getting together to voice their pissed offedness.

Anonymous said...

Wait, what happened with dolphins and Teaneck? I missed it somehow.

And I agree about LeBron coming to NYC. Growing up in Ohio, and the Cavs somehow getting lucky with the #1 pick when whoever was #1 would've taken it... it was all too perfect.