Monday, September 29, 2008

My New Team

I've lived in South Jersey, in the Philadelphia area, for just over three years now. Growing up in Bergen County, my main sports allegiance was always for the New York Knickerbockers. I would "follow" the Yankees and Giants for stretches of time, but my heart wasn't into them and I wouldn't call myself a "fan" of either team. However, even after I moved down here, I've been purchasing the NBA League Pass package so that I could watch my beloved Knicks stink it up (along with following the guys on my Fantasy NBA team. I'm embarrased to admit that, but it's true.) The main drive, though, was to watch the Knicks games frequently and the Nets games from time to time.

However, as we face the dawn of the 2008-2009 NBA season, I sadly have to announce that I believe - and this remains to be seen - that my time with the NY Knicks is done. They have been too mismanaged for too long, and there aren't many likable characters around. They are a bloated, overhyped franchise which has been heading in the wrong direction for several years now. And so, finally at my wits end, I've realized that I don't really want to order the League Pass this year. It's not a money question - it's a "I really don't want to watch the Knicks anymore, so why do I need League Pass?" feeling that my heart is conveying that I have to acknowledge. And consequently, that means that my allegiance may wind up switching to...

... the Philadelphia 76ers. They are a fun team to watch. They have a bunch of good young guys who, unlike the Knicks' guys, have been given a chance to develop and the team is seeing the results. Then, during this offseason, they addressed one of their biggest needs, a post-up presence who can score, by signing Elton Brand who is a perennial All-Star when he's healthy. Philly is a good sports town, all their teams are successful... and hey, when in Rome...

Look, I'm not consciously doing this. This is very hard for me. This is a guy that used to tape most of their home games in the early 90s (while I was in h.s.) and rewatch many of them. However, unless something changes in N.Y., my time with the Knicks may be over. I'll have to see what my heart tells me when the season starts. This could be very bittersweet.

No comments: