Friday, March 12, 2010

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

(<----This is a picture of my new street)

I think most you reading this post know that I recently moved to Boston. I moved to Boston mainly for a job, but also for a new experience. Having never lived outside the Garden State, even for college (I went to Rutgers for undergrad and grad); living outside New Jersey thus far has been great.

Boston is a real awesome city! Most people from the New York Metropolitan Area have hatred towards Boston and everything related to Boston, especially most Yankee baseball fans. I think another reason people from the New York also hate Bostonians because is the way they talk, which is funny to me (i.e. I have to pahk the cah, LOL). But, I have to say, I’m very impressed with the city thus far. There’s a lot to do, and everything is within walking distance from where I live (Back Bay for those who know Boston). Also, the area is real clean (for a city) and the restaurants/bars are fun. A side bar, I live on the same block as Cheers ( HY, pun intended with the word bar). There’s also a lot of cultural shit: museums, historical site seeing, parks (pahks HY), etc... The city has a lot of history and a lot to see. For those who have not been to Boston I guess the best way to describe the city (for me) is it’s kind of a cross between New York and New Jersey.

The job also has been great. For those who don’t know, I worked for Child Protective Services in NJ for eight plus years. I got a job with the Fed in Boston, hence the recent move. Although the experience of working in NJ was great in a lot of ways, I got feed up with certain aspects of the system, especially the impediments of upward mobility and really just tired of the work. But, I digress because this post is really about my living experience in Boston not in NJ. Working in Boston has been great. It’s great to work with intelligent, good hearted, helpful people. I’m also handling issues on a macro level which is much more interesting than dealing with people’s individual problems.

I think that after all my years in the Garden State I needed a change of scenery. Boston (so far) has been a great change!

7 comments:

The Notorious LJT said...

Boston's a great town and Back Bay is a really nice neighborhood.

Moon said...

I still say Boston's lame until proven otherwise. I'm open to persuasion, though. Ev, when you gonna invite us up?

Evan said...

Moon: I'll try and prove otherwise. You pretty much have an open invite as does anyone who I think would be reading this. Just let me know when you can make it. Check out below link and try to make it up for a baseball game. I'm sure going to Fenway Pahk(HY) would be cool, and then we'll go out. See if you want to make the trip with my bro.

I only have a couch to offer but it's open to whoever wants to use it (obviously not anyone, but you're cool).


http://www.ticketsnow.com/boston-red-sox-tickets/?GCID=C16598x096-mlb_bos&keyword=red%20sox%20schedule

Nick.Zaveri said...

Hey it's good to about the move. Max mentioned it to me some time ago. Tried to make time to see you before I left, but as is the case a lot these days, I missed the opportunity. A few of my cousins live in or around the city, so I've come to know Boston fairly well. There's a possibility I might be living up there myself one day, but I'll explain more about that later. It is a good city, and you'll have a great time. Be safe, have fun, and congrats on the new job.
-Nick

ChuckJerry said...

Boston is a pretty cool place to be. That accent just makes me happy. It doesn't matter what you're saying, if you say it with a Boston accent it makes my day.

Definitely go to Fenway. One of the coolest experiences of all time.

Someone needs to shovel that sidewalk.

ChuckJerry said...

Unrelated to this post in every way. That picture of the actual hobo con queso is way too big. Whoever put that up needs to ensmallen it first.

Side Bar said...

Boston is a great town. I am happy (and not at all surprised) to hear that you are enjoying it so far.

E - there is a chance that Mrs. Side Bar and I might be visiting the weekend of April 17-18 (sorry, winit). My sister is running the marathon on April 19. If we come up I will definitely let you know.