Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Totally Krossed Out

Notorious LJT’s latest post about Chi-Ali got my thinking about bad rap bands from my youth and my mind kept going back to Kris Kross. I think most people remember Kris Kross from their hit Jump on their 1992 album, Totally Krossed Out. Thinking about Kris Kross reminded me of a funny story.

Some background on Kris Kross is needed for those who don’t remember. Kris Kross, like Chi-Ali, was a band composed of adolescent /teenager(s). In the case of Kris Kross the group was composed of two kids, apparently each named Chris. Each of the Chris’s took on a “street name” one taking the name “Daddy-Mac” and the other “Mack-Daddy.” Kris Kross was capitalizing on the emergence of hip-hop as popular music in the early 90’s. I think some record executives decide that it would be a profitable to sell adolescent rappers to the public when hip-hop was entering the main stream. I guess the gimmick of having two adolescent peep-squealers was not enough, and Kris Kross added an over the top gimmick… they wore all their clothes backwards!

Why did Kris Kross where their clothes backwards? Who knows? But at the height of Kris Kross fame, I was caught up in the hype. Being an impressionable 12 year old, I actually thought the idea of wearing your clothes backwards was cool! I thought about rocking the style of wearing all my clothes backwards to school.

Now, at that age what you wore to school was probably the largest determining factor in your place in the social hierarchy. Given the importance of the decision on what to wear to school, I didn’t want to make any faux pas. So, I decided a trial run of wearing my clothes backwards would be the best thing, in case there were any unforeseen errors. One day after school, I went to my room alone, and reserved my clothing. Now, at that age my jeans were not exactly baggy, nor were they super-tight. I guess you can say my jeans fit just right, slightly on the tight side for fashion in Teaneck, NJ at the time for my age bracket. I didn’t realize before my trial run that the knee area in my jeans had more give in the front and not in the back. When I attempted to walk after putting my clothes on backwards, my knees really didn’t bend that well.

You might think that the logistics of not being able to walk would be enough to thwart my plan of wearing backwards clothing to school; however, I was not deterred. I continued to try and walk (in an uncomfortable fashion) around my room. It wasn’t until I looked up in the mirror and saw myself did I realize how ridiculous I looked. Here I was, a 12 year old white boy from the suburbs, with semi-tight jeans on, a backwards shirt, almost falling from walking around my room.

I idea of wearing my clothes backwards died that day. Shortly after, my admiration for Kris Kross died as well.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have told me you were going to try on your clothes backwards. At age 15, I would have been mature enough to take about 20 pictures and only show them to Joe, Daffy, Guiney, Chris Hall and Mom. Thankfully, this would have been before Internet / Facebook so those images would not have been disseminated as quickly.

Anyway, +11 blogger points to the first person to name two Kris Kross songs without looking it up. I don't remember a second one.

ChuckJerry said...

"Jump" and "I Missed The Bus" and "Da Bomb" off their second album entitled, wait for it, "Da Bomb".

"Why did Kris Kross where their clothes backwards? Who knows?"

Duh, because inside out is wiggety wiggety wiggety wack.

Ev, I gotta say I'm impressed with the fact that you had the foresight to try it out and then to decide that it wasn't a good look. I remember a couple kids actually coming in with their clothes backwards. Usually they didn't go all out though, they would just wear like a baseball jersey backwards, but not the pants.

PS - "Jump" is actually still a pretty good rap song.

Anonymous said...

What? The daddy makes you J-U-M-P!

And Evan reminded me of Kris Kross' other hit...

Warm it up, Kris! (I'm about to!)
Warm it up, Kris! (Cause that's what I was born to do)

So many try to rhyme, but they can't rhyme like this!
So many try to rhyme, but they can't rhyme like this!

Cause I'm the...

Miggety-miggety-miggety-miggety-mack daddy, the
Miggety-miggety-miggety-miggety-Mack!

ChuckJerry said...

as best as I can recall from memory:

"Warm It Up"

So many times I heard you rhyme, but you can't touch this.
I be kickin' the type of flavor that makes you say, "you're too much, chris."
So feel the fire of the one they call the mack dad.
The fire's what I pack and what I pack is real bad.
I make you grab a hold of your soul and never let go, *do the jump, do the hokey pokey, ho.* (this can't be right)
That's the state of mind I'm in.
Huh, with rhyme at the rhyme I win....

That's all I got.

The Notorious LJT said...

good call in trying it out first, wearing your clothes to school backward would have been to commit social suicide.

i think they also left the price tags on their clothes, didn't they?

chuckjerry, who wore there clothes backward to school?

Side Bar said...

Great post.

The last line from Chuck's recounting of the lyrics to "Warm it Up" -- to wit, "that's the state of mind I'm in. Huh, with rhyme at the rhyme I win...." -- was the subject of one of the greatest rap lyric debates of all time. The question was whether the line was "rhyme after rhyme I win" or "rhyme after rhyme O-N" (as in, rhyme on).

It sounds stupid now (ok, it was stupid even then), but without the internet, if a performer did not include lyrics in the CD insert that came with the album, there was just no way at all to settle the debate.

(Incidentally, I looked it up, and here are the according-to-Hoyle lyrics for Warm it Up (excerpted to settle the debate; blogger won't let me post the whole thing)

Uh, well, this is how nice and smooth it is
Hey uh, listen to them

Warm it up Kris I'm about to
Warm it up Kris cause that's what I was born to do
Warm it up Kris I'm about to
Warm it up Kris cause that's what I was born to do

So many times I heard you rhyme but you can't touch this
I'm kicking the type of flow that makes you say "You're too much Kris"
So feel the fire of the one they call the Mac Dad
The fire's what I pack and what I pack is real bad
I'd like to grab a hold of your soul and never let go
Never 'til they jump, 'til they say Hoooo
Now that's the state of mind I'm in huh...
With rhyme after rhyme I win

Moon said...

Big ups to Ev for reminding me of this. I have to say though, I rocked my jeans backwards to school one day (they were considerably baggier than Ev's I'll bet) and most people didn't notice. Since this was probably the exact opposite effect I was going for as a tweener, the coolness factor died for me that day. Twasn't a bad look though...

Evan said...

@ Max: That picture might have been bigger than "Mom is it my choice.”

@ Chuck: Although I remembered some of that, I would have been nowhere near as accurate.

@Brian: There were a great many songs with lyrics that we used to debate. I'm not always sure about those websites. When I read some of them I know this is not what the lyrics say.

@ Moon: How could no one have noticed?