Thursday, July 17, 2008

July Poker League - Games #4 and #5

So I was losing the impetus to blog about these games, thinking nobody read them, but after meeting up with MMG and Side Bar and realizing that I might have more readers than one could count on one hand, I realized that I need to catch up on the recaps of Games 4 and 5! It's been a few days since both events have occurred, so my recaps might not be as verbose as they've been in the past.

Recap of Game 4 (Thurs, July 10)

Shit, to be honest, I don't remember any details of this game. It's been too long since it's happened. All I remember is: it's the first game we've played without Donkey (we only had 9 people) and we played at Daffy's house since his wife and kids were still out of town. .com had a huge chip lead and wound up beating My Choice heads up to win it all.

9th place - Karma
8th place - Zeus (another subpar showing!)
7th place - Chick
6th place - Lady Luck
5th place - Daffy
4th place - True
3rd place - Pads
2nd place - My Choice
1st place - .com (plus, 2 bonus points for knocking off True, last week's winner and current leader)

Points (Total)

.com - 12 (22)
True - 17 (20)
Pads - 5 (17)
Daffy - 1 (16)
My Choice - 7 (12)
Chick - 0 (10)
Karma - 0 (7)
Lady Luck - 0 (3)
Zeus - 0 (3)
Donkey - 0 (0)

----------------------------------------------------------

Recap of Game 5 (Mon, July 14)

Zeus hosted game 5 at his house in Teaneck. The same 9 players from Game 4 were in attendance for tonight's contest.

The night belonged to Daffy from start to finish - combining good play with timely cards to have a bunch of chips the whole evening.

Lady Luck did not live up to his name and went out early in 9th place, taking a relatively tough beat to go out. Karma had her third tough game in a row, finishing in 8th place.

Play sped up quickly, and True and Pads went out in 7th place and 6th place respectively. Pads bitched about his poor cards briefly. True and Karma left quietly, as Pads happily watched Josh Hamilton catch fire in the home run contest (sour grapes...?)

Zeus played better tonight, but finished into 5th place - earning him one point. Chick played quietly and patiently and went out in 4th place. My Choice, who has gotten warm recently, finished in third place. .com and Daffy battled heads up. Daffy ultimately prevailed, not only finishing first but earning 2 bonus points for knocking off .com at the end.

Points (Total):

.com - 7 (29)
Daffy - 12 (28)
True - 0 (20)
My Choice - 5 (17)
Pads - 0 (17)
Chick - 3 (13)
Karma - 0 (7)
Zeus - 1 (4)
Lady Luck - 0 (3)
Donkey - 0 (0)

Once the tournament was over, .com and Pads were torn between playing cash games and watching The Big Lebowski (the 300th time for .com). I am Pads. I haven't seen Lebowski that many times, and now I realize what I've been missing all these years by not watching Lebowski over and over like many other people. Aside from being hilarious and unique, it might be the most quotable movie ever. Almost every line is quotable in the movie. I didn't realize that Open Bar's erstwhile "Calmer Than You Are" blog was a reference to a line of this classic of American cinema.



Let me tell you something, pendejo - You pull any of that crazy shit with me, you flash your piece on the lane, I'll take it from you, shove it up your ass, and pull the trigger until it goes click!

No comments: