Friday, October 22, 2010

The Hobo Con Queso Friends Series 2.1: WCF and MMG, the meeting

From left to right:  MMG, Melissa (?), Walt "Clyde" Frazier, and soon-to-be-named "Sparkles" in a classic "before-and-after" picture



The following is a brief history of how I met MMG, who is, in name at least, a co-author of this blog.


My family moved to Teaneck in the spring of 1985 from the neighboring Borough of Ridgefield Park.  I was therefore a new student more than halfway through the year of 3rd grade.  Another student, Jesse, also was new to school around the same time.  So naturally, Jesse and I became friendly.  But, I was soon to encounter what my 3rd grade mind perceived as the upper brass of the grade.

This strapping young boy who had a certain je ne sais quoi used to pal around with another boy named Andy B, who was a big academic competitor at that age for me, and sort of a friendly rivalry developed between us.  One day I was out in the hallway for some reason, and Andy B came by with this other kid.  Andy B said, "Walt, this is Matt.  Matt, this is Walt."

I looked at Matt who was glaring at me with contempt in his eyes.

He curtly said, "Why are you wearing a sweatshirt with shorts?"

I looked down at my clothes.  Indeed, I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt.  "Why, should I not be wearing that?"

"Well, it's just a bit uneven."


With that, Matt turned on his heel and walked away with Andy B.  My father had often donned the sweatshirt / shorts combination for cool fall or spring weather, which I still endorse to this day - your legs are cold, but it doesn't matter if your torso is warm - so it's a versatile look.  I didn't think anything was wrong with it.


However, shortly thereafter, Matt and I started to develop a friendly rivalry as well.  Matt lived a couple of blocks away from the elementary school and we would hang out at his house.  Many ups and downs were to come...


______________________


To be followed by 2.2:  WCF and MMG, the Wonder Years




1 comment:

Evan said...

"Well, it's just a bit uneven."

Classic MMG. I love it!