Monday, July 12, 2010

Rat Alley

Since my move to Boston several months ago, I’ve had to get accustomed to rodents, specifically, the rat. Growing up in the suburbs we never had rat problems. I read a book recently titled Rats, which was fascinating. Rats basically live in the cities, on human garbage. So, the worse the waste management system is, the higher the likelihood that there will be a rise in the numbers of rats in your neighborhood.

I live in a very nice neighborhood in Boston called Back Bay. The architecture of my neighborhood is mainly brownstones. The neighbored is laid out in a grid, and between each of the streets there are huge alleyways, which you can drive down. My girlfriend decided that it would be a good idea to bring up bicycles that she had from Jersey for exercise. So, we strapped the bikes to the back of the car and brought them up to Boston from Jersey. We arrived at nighttime in Boston and I drove down the alley. My girlfriend and I were unloading the bikes and other items into my apartment which has an entrance on the backside of the building. Now, the alleyway is also where people leave the garbage for pick up. The ironic part of what was about to occur was on the drive up I remarked to my girlfriend after being in the city for a few weeks “Wow, the neighborhood is great, and unlike New York, I haven’t seen a single rat.” Turns out, I spoke to soon.

While I was unstrapping the bikes my girlfriend was taking in some items into the apartment. I looked down the alley and saw a rat running across the street about twenty yards away. I didn’t think much of it, but took note, because after a prior rat sighting in New York City, I knew my girlfriend was not fond of the creature. Once my girlfriend was inside, I heard a little scuffle behind me and there, running along side a wall in the alley I saw about three more rats running. I looked to my left to see many more rats. My girlfriend was walking back to the car to retrieve more items, but I quickly advised her to go inside and stay there.

I later told my girlfriend why I advised her to stay inside to which she was happy that I spared her from being in an alley filled with rats, but also a little freaked out that there were so many rats in close proximity to where we lived. Now, I thought, as long we avoided the alley at night, especially on garbage pick up nights we might avoid future encounters with the rodents. But, no such luck.

Last weekend, my girlfriend took the car, which had been parked on the street from Boston back to Jersey. She went to visit her family and I had friends come up and visit, including co-blogger Moon. My girlfriend called me one day after arriving in Jersey. She relayed to me what occurred a few minutes before her phone call. She advised me that one of the headlights went out when she was driving the car the previous evening. So, she asked her 18 year old brother if he could change the bulb the following morning. My girlfriend popped the hood of the car so her brother could remove the casing for the light. As soon as the hood was opened a rat ran across the engine of the car! That’s right; the rat must have crawled underneath the car in Boston, made a home in the engine, and then made the drive from Boston to New Jersey! I couldn’t believe it, but it was true. My first thought was the episode of the Simpson’s when Bart brings a frog to Australia, and since frogs are not indigenous to the habitat the frogs multiple at a rapid rate. I pictured my girlfriend’s suburban town overrun by rats. Anyway, the rat seemed to run away after seeing my girlfriend and her brother discovering its home and I have not heard anything about rats taking over the suburbs of Jersey.

I love living in Boston so far. The city is great! My neighbored truly is amazing. But, I guess there is always a downside. So far, the only problem has been dealing with the rats. Knock on wood, my girlfriend and I have not had to deal with one inside the apartment yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuck.

Call me a pussy, but rats freak me the fuck out.

Anonymous said...

By the way, that picture is fucking vile! Is that a snapshot from your DYFS days? Where did you find that?

ChuckJerry said...

I think that picture is from a temple in India that's actually devoted to the rats. They feed them and everything so that they'll infest the temple.