Friday, July 16, 2010

"Quadruple Who"

... or "Why The Knicks Ownership Is More Incompetent Than Mr. Bean"



Could it get worse than this? Oh yeah... much, much worse.


First, they leave the free-agency bonanza with Amare Stoudamire and Raymond Felton. Ok. Not terrible, not great. Felton is a decent point guard, by the way. A glimmer of optimism starts to shine on the Knicks faithful.

Then... oh, sweet God do the Knicks suck.... then...

...they give up David Lee for three guys my father memorably dubbed "Who", "Double-Who", and "Triple-Who". In other words, three irrelevant guys.

Yes, I understand that David Lee was going to cost a lot of money, and they are trying to build for the future. I get it. But, come on, let's put on our common sense hats for a minute. How can you placate a passionate and hungry New York public with these band of jokers? This was the crushing blow that sent many New York faithful, including BotG, into a Knicks-hating frenzy.

... then, in a serious context, an article breaks that they have seriously considered bringing Isiah Thomas back to run the team. Isiah Thomas! Isiah Fucking Thomas! I don't know what to even say about this. What kind of cruel joke are they trying to play on New York?

... And finally, the coup de gras... they sign some Russian big man... does his name really matter? All you need to know about him is this:

- He, of course, got the moniker "Quad Who" from Pop. I'll be calling him that a year from now... if he's even in the NBA.
- He averaged less than 8 points and 7 rebounds IN THE RUSSIAN LEAGUE. (Matt Dabney once averaged double digits in the Russian league. As did I. We were teammates there.) If somebody's coming from Russia to get any minutes of substance or make any serious contribution, he better be putting up LeBron numbers over there.
- Speaking of this, I made an immediate bet with eternal optimist Pop - that Quad Who would average less than 10 minutes per game next season.
- Two words: Frederic Weis.
- Don't believe me? This is a HIGHLIGHT REEL for him. Jay Koeppel looked better in the Maccabi games when he had more of a height advantage than Wilt Chamberlain. In his highlight reel, he shoots an airball and misses layups. Oy vey.



Is he going to help the Knicks leave the valley of suckdom? I say, "Nyet".

(Hat-tip to BotG for finding this clip and for reminding me of how it was reminiscient of Jay Koeppel's Maccabi games highlight reel.)

4 comments:

Evan said...

My Prediction is this guy will have more balls rammed down his throat than a stripper at a Duke Lacrosse party. HY!

Joe Grossberg said...

Great post, made me crack up.

Playing next to Lee would really have helped Amar'e's game.

Playing next to Erich Grommet's NBA counterpart? Not so much.

Anonymous said...

Word.

The guy he's going up against for the majority of the highlight reel reminds me of Escalade from those And-1 mixtapes.

ChuckJerry said...

There's something I love about that British guy calling the basketball game. I'm picturing him with his tweed jacket and bad teeth holding a pipe going, "Oh my, Mozgov with the lay in."

Also, fuck the Knicks.