Friday, December 11, 2009

The Great Wallet Scam of 2009






The following was a forwarded email I got from a colleague on my hotmail account.

Women often receive warnings about protecting themselves at the mall
and in dark parking lots, etc. This is the first warning I have
seen for men. I wanted to pass it on in case you haven't heard about
it. This will only become more commonplace.

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular Lowe's, Home Depot, or
Costco customers.

This one caught me by surprise. Ladies, please let your husband /
boyfriend know of this scam.

Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping.
Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic.
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 20-something girls come over to your car
as you are packing your shopping into the trunk.
They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with
their tops almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is almost
impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead
ask you for a ride to McDonalds.

If you agree, they get into the back seat. On the way, they start
undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts
crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen June 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th,17th,
20th, 24th, & 29th. Also July 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th,
23rd, 26th & 28th, three times last Monday and very likely again
this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take
advantage of older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant.

Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found cheaper ones
for$1.99 at K- Mart and bought them out.
Also, you never will get to eat at McDonalds. I've already lost 11
pounds just running back and forth to Lowe's, Home Depot, and Costco.

Be careful out there.



My response was:

Umm... what?!? Clearly this can't be true, but is this meant as a joke?

"I had my wallet stolen June 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th,17th,
20th, 24th, & 29th. Also July 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th,
23rd, 26th & 28th, three times last Monday and very likely again
this upcoming weekend."

LOL! If this is satire, it's brilliant. If this is real, it's hilarious anyway.



A quick Snopes search didn't yield anything, so technically I can't immediately disprove this. However, while this clearly cannot be true, I don't know what to make of it. It may just be some goofy shit. Or, it may be satire so brilliant of forwarded emails that I can't even comprehend how funny / creative / clever it is.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Shared this with everyone at work. Juan is going to the 99 cent store to see if they have wallets. Then he's headed for Home Depot.

Anonymous said...

Seems cheaper than a strip club, tell him.