Thursday, December 17, 2009

Aunt Li'l Wayne





I'm getting older, dorkier, or funnier. Maybe some combination of the three (or maybe less funny. BTW, I've never written the word "dorkier" until now. It looks weird.)

Anyway, the following occurred this morning as homeroom was ending.

My high school has morning announcements down by the TV Production students here. They make funny skits and the like for students which they show from time to time after they are done doing the morning announcements.

During today's skit, a rap song came on to accompany their skit. I was not familiar with the song. The bell rang, the video was still on, and the next teacher (a young woman in her early 20s, who I mentor and am friendly with) came in getting ready to teach. I say...

"Do you know who this is, singing this song?"
"No."
"Hmm... yeah, I don't know much music that's come out recently."
"Me either."
"Kanye West is probably the most recent person in rap music that I'm familiar with. Maybe this is Little Wayne. That's the only name I know."
"Maybe... I don't think it is."
"... It's not Little Wayne, right? It's Li'l Wayne. Liii-llll Wayne. Like that."
"[chuckle]"
"Li'l Wayne. That's so weird. Why not Little Wayne? I have an aunt named Lil. Aunt Lil. Aunt Lil Wayne. Of course, her name is short for Lillian."

She gave me a confused stare. I started cracking myself up, understanding her confusion - after all, that's not funny at all - and walked out of the room, still laughing.

1 comment:

Evan said...

I'm picturing Aunt Lil rapping. LOL.