Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Stunt Doubles feat. Stunt Double 3

At various points over the past 10 years, I've heard that I resemble various celebrities. The ones I've heard most often, depending on my current hairstyle, level of facial hair, weight, etc... are: John Mayer, Roger Federer, Bam Margera, and Joaquin Phoenix. (I am flattered by all four.)

My brother noticed a specific guy that plays basketball with him at the Jewish Center League in Teaneck that he has stated resemble me so closely that he's called them "Walt's Stunt Double" which has since been shortened to "Stunt Double". He is the same height and build as me, has the same floppy hairstyle that I had most of my life, and is similarly slow-footed (though I claim that I am a better ballplayer). By the way, side note: I can't believe the Teaneck Jewish Center's men's pick-up basketball league has a website! Is this a sign that the Internet has gotten out of control?

Anyway, in recent years a student at my father's high school who also plays basketball for the school's team resembles me as well, especially when comparing him now to me when I was 18. Here is a picture of us together a year or so ago.



He is tall, has a wicked up-and-under move in the post, likes math and chess. Uncanny. He was dubbed "Young Walt" by my brother, and eventually was called "Stunt Double 2" since the aforementioned Jewish Center player was Stunt Double already.

Anyway, a couple of months ago my brother took a vacation to the Dominican Republic with his girlfriend. Boarding the plane, he got a text from me asking "Where r u?" He looked ahead a few rows and saw me sitting there! "What is my brother doing going to the Dominican Republic? Is this a trick? Did my girlfriend set this up?"

He stared ahead a few rows and couldn't determine if this truly was me or not. After the plane landed, he followed this person to the luggage area and determined that no, it was not me, although this person also looked uncannily like me as well. Tall, same shirt and hat style, and... well, those of you that know me, judge for yourself. His girlfriend convinced him not to go up to talk to the guy, but he took some pictures from afar.

This mystery man is now "Stunt Double 3".





1 comment:

ChuckJerry said...

I definitely would have thought that was you, down to the hat and everything, although I would hope you'd have the sense not to wear man capris like this gie.