Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dab-KNEE? Gui-KNEE? Hi-KNEE? No, my knee. (Follow-up).

On June 24, 2009, I had surgery on my left knee to:

- re-re-do the ACL in my left knee. It had been surgically repaired in May 2000, and at some point(s) since then had been rendered torn, stretched and useless.
- clean up meniscal tearing which had developed at some point.
- try to deal with some of the arthritis that had been developing in the knee.

This photo was taken Monday, July 13, almost 3 weeks after the surgery.





As you can see, it is still swollen - but is getting better every day. It was much more swollen until recently, and unfortunately, I did not chronicle the progress with a series of photographs. I wish I had done so, as watching the knee and leg change every couple of days has been interesting. I have been wearing the brace you see under my leg until about now (today is Sunday, July 19, about 3.5 weeks after surgery). The brace was kept locked and my knee was forced to be straight until recently, as my quads have been growing strong enough to support regular walking. It is amazing how quickly muscles atrophy when you don't use them regularly!

I have been doing physical therapy in Teaneck, which has been a very encouraging process. Each time I have gone these past two weeks, I find my leg more flexible and stronger. Four weeks post-surgery, which is Wednesday, July 22, the physical therapy will take an aggressive turn and I will incorporating much more to get myself back to normalcy in terms of walking around and general physical activities. Another month after that, eight weeks post-op, the therapy will become more aggressive still, as my goals are to be able to run and exercise normally. If I was older and willing to not run and exercise, they could tone down what I'll be doing in the months to come.

Eventually, I will be able to play my beloved game of basketball, but truth be told, it will always be slightly risky for me to do so - even though I will be technically medically cleared to do it. I will be setting more short-term physical goals as these next few months unfold, and take things one day at a time.

No comments: