Monday, May 9, 2011

Kobe's Attitude


I was so glad to see the Lakers get swept by the Mavericks yesterday. It was even better to see the Lakers sit there in the press conference knowing that Phil is leaving and even better that this current era for the Lakers is coming to close. One of my many problems with the current era of the Lakers is Kobe. He is a smug, pompous, bitch! Now, the surprising thing about the Lakers losing was that my brother Walt was justifying Kobe being an asshole. My position (and also the correct position) is that there is no excuse for Kobe being an asshole!

To explain what I mean, YouTube search Kobe Bryant + press conference. Click on any single one and you will know right away what I’m referring to. I’ve waxed philosophically about the stupid questions and commentary in today’s sports culture, but Kobe responds to the stupid questions like a dick. For example, in 2010 after a Lakers loss to the Celtics a reporter asked in a press conference if Kobe felt confident about being down 3 games to 2, going into game 6. Kobe said “No, I’m not confident; I’m not a confident person.” Then, starred at the reporter, gave a sarcastic smile, and didn’t say anything else. Kobe, dick, the guy is just doing his job!

Walt asserts that somehow Kobe needs to be a dick because he is the best in the world and everyone is trying to knock him off the hill. Walt feels (I think) that Kobe needs to be on edge and brush off commentators and reporters to maintain his status, and at a minimum we should understand Kobe’s plight. My contention is that Kobe is blessed to be one of the most gifted athletes ever, and is in the unique position of being one of the best at his craft and gets more than enough compensation for the work he does. I’m not saying that he should be stating how grateful he is in every interview, but I would like someone to say to Kobe, “Lose the attitude, tough guy.”

1 comment:

popsrick said...

How do you really feel son?