Friday, June 25, 2010

No Freaking Way!

After watching last night’s draft, it’s clear to me that the Knicks odds of landing Lebron next season are dropping faster than (Ok, removed) in a Teaneck High School hallway (HYHY, that was one of the biggest Joe’s ever btw). So, in answer to the question “Is Lebron coming to New York?” Well, as my dad would say, “No freaking way!”

So, I learned during the draft last night that Miami can sign three max guys. That means, in theory, they can have Wade, Lebron and Amare. Apparently it seems that Lebron and Wade probably won’t play together, but if they decide to, Miami would seem like a good destination. As a side note from the Lebron thing, any combination of Wade plus two of the big free agents (Amare, Lebron, Johnson, Bosh, Nowitski) would equal mad championships with a couple decent role players.

I also learned that Chicago will dump Hinrick and their pick to clear up cap space to sign two max guys. That means that Lebron plus any one of the big free agents above could join the Bulls with: Rose, Noah, Deng, and Gibson.
Now, if I was Lebron, I would go to Miami. I would play with Wade and get either Amare or Bosh to sign on. But, based on something about Lebron and Wade each wanting their own team, this may not happen. So, it appears that Lebron will end up in Chicago.

At this point, New York has little to offer. Miami and Chicago are not bad markets to play in. Yeah, these markets are not New York, but they are much closer to NY than Oklahoma. Plus, Lebron needs to win. New York does not have the cap space to compete with Miami, nor the talent base to compete with Chicago. The odds of landing Lebron seem very unlikely to me. Of course I’m still hoping, but it feels like wishing for Lebron in NY is like wishing that my lottery numbers will produce the winning ticket.

3 comments:

popsrick said...

"Hey, you never know."

Joe Grossberg said...

I, that's kinda harsh to use her full name about something embarrassing she did when she was just a teenager.

People could Google her name so many years after the fact, and this could appear in the results.

I think removing her name from the post and "Walt's" (irony!) comment is the right thing to do.

Evan said...

Joey, I guess you're right. Done.