Monday, December 13, 2010

Can I Have My Vote Back?


In case you’re living under a rock and haven’t heard, Obama sold out again! Obama is agreeing to the Bush-tax-cuts for the wealthy. In essence, John Boehner and Mitch McConnell just bent Obama like he was Marcellus Wallace and they were the two hicks in the basement of that music store. In related news, right now, Obama’s doing a re-enactment of that scene in Animal House when Kevin Bacon is being paddled and asking, “Thank you sir, may I have another?”

I know some Democrats are going to say, “Well this was the only way to extend middle class tax cuts, and unemployment benefits.” If that is your position, need I remind of Obama’s 2008 platform? Obama used the sound bite, “The bush’s tax cuts only benefit the top 1% of Americans” one million times. I agreed with Obama that the tax cuts were ridiculous but even I got sick of hearing it over and over. Not only was Obama opposed to tax cuts for the wealthy, but it was his entire platform to get into office. Now, he extended those cuts, for two more years!

I really can’t get over this. I guess since Obama has been in office he is trying to win over some Republicans. Well Mr. President, if that is your position let me let you on a secret; the Republicans are never going to accept you. No matter your position on an issue, they will take the opposite side. We know Obama doesn’t support their position on this issue, as he admitted that he “regretfully agrees” to this. He caves on his beliefs like always to a side that will never accept him. If this was Bush and Cheney, and they had Obama’s beliefs, you can bet your ass they would never have agreed to this tax plan.

Obama has to be the worst negotiator in history. He starts with a position; let’s say for example, a single payer option for health care. He meets with the other side and they say things that are completely ridiculous like, “You’re going to create death panels.” You know, shit they pull right out of their ass. Obama then asks them what they want. Obama then gives into the most reasonable position on their side. Then, when there is backlash, they blame Obama for the plan and he accepts the criticism. You know that in 2012, the Republicans are going to blame Obama for having a bad tax plan, despite that plan being theirs and he will take the “L” on it.

Like Chris Rock said about Michael Jackson “I’m handing in my glove!” I hope the Dems put up somebody decent in 2012 to vote for, because this is it. This is the straw that broke my back. Oh Howard Dean, where art thou?

2 comments:

The Notorious LJT said...

I don't think it's that simple.

The deal works out to cost:

$120 billion for the rich's tax cut
$260 billion for the middle class' tax cut
$450 billion extended unemployment, payroll tax reduction and college funding

I think at first glance it looks like he bitched out but if you examine it a little closer he got a lot of what he wanted.

I think a lot of conservatives are pissed about this.

What's the other option? Have a staring contest and have taxes jump for everyone if the Republicans don't back down. That's probably not good for the shaky recovery.

Look, Democrats could have addressed this a long time ago and didn't. Elections have consequences and you have to play the cards you're dealt.

People expected Obama to be this savior that wasn't realistic - admittedly with his encouragement. But the guy got healthcare done, which no one else did and then I think he came out ok in this tough situation.

He turned water into wine but you don't like cabernet sauvignon? Give the guy a break!

Evan said...

You bring up some valid points, and maybe Obama's hand was forced in this situation. But, I think he should take blame for being in this situation as well.

If he didn't "water down" his health care bill, when he had both the house and senate, then I think the mid-term elections might have turned out differently. When you start to sell on your beliefs in the name of compromise you lose your base and it is a slippery slope of what you will give in on.

Of course some conservatives, as some liberals, will not be happy about the deal.

Your card analogy is a good one. I think if he went all in on health care instead of winning just a few chips he would have doubled his chip stack, allowing him to roll over people by making big plays at the pot with a large chip stack. (If this poker analogy is too much my apologies)

Now, when exactly did he turn water into wine? It seems to be that he added some mild flavoring to the water and I'm still sober.