Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Gun Plot of 2006

In cleaning out my stuff and getting settled here at the new house (slowly but surely), I came across this article from our local paper from an incident that happened at the high school I teach at in April of 2006.

The "ringleader" pictured in the article was a student of mine that school year, before dropping my Computer Programming class (saying, "I like you and everything, but I don't know what the hell is going on" and electing for a study hall). A few months after leaving my class, he allegedly hatched this Columbine-like plot.

It shows you traditional axioms such as these are applicable sometimes:

- shit can happen anywhere;
- you never know what the person you're talking to is thinking; and
- count your blessings.



2 comments:

Side Bar said...

I hope this is not too sensitive of a question, but did anyone ever discover who was on the "hit list" that they reference in the article? If so, did you know any of those people or discuss it with them? I cannot imagine what those people must have been thinking when they learned about it. Pretty scary.

Anonymous said...

Everybody who was on the list was officially notified by police and administration privately. I was not notified.

It's an interesting decision, morally, to notify people after the fact or not - it's one of those "Would you want to know if..." types of questions. Some people would want to know if somebody had planned to kill them (and failed), and some people wouldn't want to, I suppose.

Some people who found out they were on the list talked openly about it, and I'm sure there were some that never told anybody they were on it.