Thursday, February 7, 2008

NBA Notes 2/7/08

- The Heat just traded Shaquille O'Neal to the Suns for Shawn Marion (and Marcus Banks). I assume that experts are divided on whether or not this was a good move. I suppose the Suns were picturing having Shaq defensively against teams in the Western Conference playoffs that have a quality big man who can score (Tim Duncan, Yao Ming) or against guys that penetrate and get to the basket often (Tony Parker, Deron Williams, and Baron Davis come to mind).

I think this will backfire on the Suns. I think people who find out just how underrated Shawn Marion is after this trade. The vaunted Suns running game will suffer tremendously without Marion. Also, he is a tremendous defensive player on the perimeter. So, what they gain with a 350 pound guy plodding around the basket they will lose with Marion's intelligence, speed and long arms patrolling the rest of the half court. And the Heat will go from suck-ass awful to maybe mediocre. Why wouldn't they trade Shaq for a young guy/guys and/or some draft picks? Weird...

Of course, I could be wrong entirely and the Suns may win it all with an incredible 4-5 combo of Stoudamire / Shaq.


- In an earlier post I discussed how my brother and I made two bets about Boston and Garnett. I think that even though Boston is still looking good, they are not the prohibitive favorite to win the East. If I had to bet money on somebody now it would be Detroit. Nevertheless, Garnett may win the MVP and/or be on the first-team all NBA.


- The Knicks are making the terrible mistake of playing like a mediocre team. For management / ownership who want to believe that the team will be ok, the best thing would be for them to be playing like the Heat.


- I'm glad that Kidd may be on his way out of NJ, both for his sake and for the team's sake. They need to drop off Vince Carter in the middle of the swamp in the Meadowlands ("I was doing the bank job up there in Secaucus...")..., move to Brooklyn, and start over.


-*** UPDATE: Guess I'm not following the Knicks close enough. Just looked at the standings and they've dropped 7 straight. Still, they're better than the Heat.

1 comment:

The Notorious LJT said...

I think the Suns trade for Shaq was a good one.

By all accounts they were a miserable locker room, I'm sure Marion's bitch ass attitude had something to do wtih that. Shaq will lighten the mood.

He provides a huge body defensively, can still be a low post presence and rebounder. He's also a great passer for a big man.

Also, I don't think he necessarily has to run with the Suns, he really just needs to get a rebound and make a quick, smart pass to start the fast break.

It's a gamble, certainly, but I liked the move.